All members in the Order of the Arrow are equal. Each member is entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership in the Order. Yet,the OA is strengthened by brotherhood within the membership. To recognize those who have given service within the OA membership and are willing to reaffirm their belief in the Order by accepting the five challenges, each Ordeal member is encouraged to earn Brotherhood.
The requirements are as follows:
1. Serve your unit for 6 months since becoming a member of the Order of the Arrow.
2. Advance in your understanding of the Ordeal. Use the Brotherhood study guide. The password is the seventh word on the Foreword page of the OA Handbook (capitalization matters).
3. Plan for service in your lodge. Retain your registration in the lodge and keep your dues paid.
4. Memorize the signs of Arrow membership:
–The Admonition (consult a Brotherhood or Vigil member)
–Sign of the Ordeal membership
5. Review your progress. Write a letter to the lodge secretary explaining what the Obligation means to you. Describe how you have been fulfilling this Obligation in your daily life. Also, describe your specific plans for giving service in the lodge.
6. You don’t have to go through the Ordeal again. You only have to do the Ordeal once! So don’t let that stop you from obtaining the Brotherhood Honor.
When you feel that you are ready to obtain the Brotherhood Honor, come to an Ordeal or Fall Fellowship. There you may go through the Brotherhood ceremony.